The TEN COMMANDMENTS
I am the Lord your God, who took you out of the land of Egypt, out of the prison-house.
in Basic English
These words the Lord said to all of you together on the mountain, out of the heart of the fire, out of the cloud and the dark, with a great voice : and he said no more ; he put them in writing on the two stones of the law and gave them to me.
- You are to have no other gods but me.
- You may not make for yourselves an image in the form of anything in heaven or on earth or in the waters under the earth :
You may not go down on your faces before them or give them worship : for I, the Lord your God, am a God who will not give his honour to another ; and I will send punishment on the children for the wrongdoing of their fathers, to the third and fourth generation of my haters ;
And I will have mercy through a thousand generations on those who have love for me and keep my laws.
- You are not to make use of the name of the Lord your God for an evil purpose ; whoever takes the Lord's name on his lips for an evil purpose will be judged as a sinner by the Lord.
- Keep the Sabbath day as a holy day, as you have been ordered by the Lord your God.
On six days do all your work :
But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; on that day do no work, you or your son or your daughter, or your man-servant or your woman-servant, or your ox or your ass or any of your cattle, or the man from a strange country who is living among you ; so that your man-servant and your woman-servant may have rest as well as you
And keep in mind that you were a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord your God took you out of that land by his strong hand and his stretched-out arm: for this reason the Lord has given you orders to keep the Sabbath day.
- Give honour to your father and your mother, as you have been ordered by the Lord your God ; so that your life may be long and all may be well for you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
- Do not put anyone to death without cause.
- Do not be false to the married relation.
- Do not take the property of another.
- Do not give false witness against your neighbour ;
- Or let your desire be turned to your neighbour's wife, or his house or his field or his man-servant or his woman-servant or his ox or his ass or anything which is your neighbour's.
Deuteronomy 5:7-5:22. Translation by Cambridge University Press
Compare with the 48 commandments of Exodus 20 thru Exodus 23. and the 10 of Exodus 34
< BBE >