English Through Pictures
The set contains :
May 2005 Edition
Available from Pippin Publishers, Toronto, Canada, as a 3-volume set for US$35 or Can$40, free shipping. Paperback 4.25" x 7"
ISBN 0-88751-117-1 .
Now sold thru : http://www.utpguidancecentre.com/product.php?productid=11271
and in Europe : http://www.gazellebookservices.co.uk
- ENGLISH THROUGH PICTURES: BOOK 1
AND A FIRST WORKBOOK OF ENGLISH -- 272 pages.
- ENGLISH THROUGH PICTURES: BOOK 2
AND A SECOND WORKBOOK OF ENGLISH - 336 pages
ISBN: 0887511139 $15 plus shipping form Amazon
- ENGLISH THROUGH PICTURES: BOOK 3 - 256 pages.
ISBN: 0887511155 $15 plus shipping from Amazon
Back Cover :
The three pocketbooks comprising the English Through Pictures series are the remarkable invention of I.A.Richards and Christine Gibson, who designed them to help the learner speak, read and write English in the quickest and clearest possible way -- through pictures.
The authors have made a careful selection of the most widely useful English words, choosing those with the power to define other words, and have put them to work in key patterns that offer the learner the ability to communicate successfully in English. Book 1 contains a vocabulary of 250 such words, with an additional 500 developed in Book 2; these 750 words are then used in Book 3 to build a command of 1000 words which, by their defining power, hold the possibility of understanding as much as another 20,000 words of English.
Throughout English Through Pictures, responsibility for learning is placed directly on the learner, who from the very start enjoys the ability to put essential words to work creating key sentence patterns where meaning is clearly shown in pictures. These implied drawing allow learners to focus on the sentence and to enjoy growing confidence as they successfully take control of language, with the workbooks in Books 1 and 2 challenging and reinforcing their growing competence as both speakers and readers. Motivated and inspired, learners will soon find to their delight that fluent communication in English -- the common language of today's world -- lies well within their grasp.
English Through Pictures has already been used successfully by millions of learners in more than forty countries.
These are almost direct reprints the 1973 edition down to the page numbers, which are adaptations of the 1945, 1957, 1965 editions which differ only in format, the contents are the same.
For a discussion of these books, see Book 3.
Pippin does not have Japanese & Korean rights for this updated edition. You are able to order from IBC Publishing, http://www.ibcpub.co.jp/ ; they have the original edition. List
Previous editions :
English Through Pictures and A Workbook of English, Books I, II, and III.
I.A. Richards and Christine Gibson, 1972 .
Each volume teaches 250 words out of the 850 words of Basic English.
These are reprints in a larger format from the earlier series below.
English Through Pictures Series, by I.A. Richards and Christine Gibson, 1965
- Book I, features prefix in 41 languages, 671-80340-9 .
- Book II - my copy is nineteenth printing, 1988, by Yohan Publications, Inc, Tokyo .
- Book III, 1973, (no workbook) sbn: 671-77670-3, is the same as English Through Pictures, Book 2, copyright of 1957, below.
English Through Pictures Series, by I.A. Richards and Christine Gibson, 1957
- English Through Pictures I and A First Workbook of English by I.A. Richards; Christine Gibson. First 250 words of Basic from Book I below.
- English Through Pictures Book II and A Second Workbook of English by I.A. Richards; Christine Gibson. Second 250 words of Basic English from Book II below.
- English Through Pictures Book III by I.A. Richards; Christine Gibson. Starts as equal parts pictures and text and ends mostly text with pictures. Uses more Basic words plus other words made from Basic words.
The Pocket Book of Basic English by I.A. Richards, 1945. This is the original of the English Through Pictures books --500 words starting with mostly pictures till the end has about equal space to text and pictures. Wartime book.
- English Through Pictures Book I, by I.A. Richards and Christine Gibson.
- Makes use of 500 words out of the 850 words of Basic English.
- English Through Pictures, Book Two, I.A. Richards and Christine Gibson.
Paperback, Pocket Books, 1957, 671-46879 Lib Congress: 52-38412
- First Steps in Reading English,
I.A. Richards and Christine Gibson. Washington Square Press, New York, 1957. sbn: 671-46879-0
Learn to read English from simple sentences with stick diagrams. Different approach from
the Pictures series.
- A First Workbook of English : by I.A. Richards and Christine Gibson.
- A Second Workbook of English : by I.A. Richards and Christine Gibson.
- A Second Workbook of English - Based on The Pocket Book English through Pictures -- is a Canadian workbook with more text with the exercises.
Basic English home page.
or back to Texts or to Reading Books
Discussion : Book 3
About this Page: etp.html - Notes about English Through Pictures series ; 60 years in use.
Last updated June 3, 2005