Created by Eugene Lazian, 2005
Put into Basic English by The BEI, 2006
One day a little field animal with a long nose with hair on it, whose name was Larri, was seated by the river bank.
It was early in the morning. The sun was only this minute coming up from in back of the small mountains that were as far away as he was able to see. Everything round him was in motion. Everyone was about his business. Small fishes were swimming up and down the slow river. Water flowers by the water's edge with soft colorful leaves, have turned back to the sun which was growing warm. Water insects on long legs do their best to get over on other side.
Only little Larri was seated with nothing to do. He only gave a short look at a strange gray small thing near to his feet. It looked like ... In fact, what did it look like ?
Little Larri went into deep thoughts.
And the strange thing as small as a nut, suddenly became living and began to move.
Larri shook in surprise, so suddenly it moved.
A pleasing animal came out of the small structure. It had snow-white wings.
It waved the wings as if ready to depart, but Larri stopped her :
- Who are you ? What is your name ?
- I am a Butterfly ! - the strange thing answered brightly.
- And what were you doing in that small gray house of yours ?
- I was sleeping waiting to get out of it to the sunlight. Well, I wasn't quite comfortable back there ! And the Butterfly shook its snow-white wings which were all lined from long being shut in that little space.
- So long ! - said she at last. - I have so much to do till the nightfall !
- Wait ! - little Larri cried, Please say you will come back !
- I shall ! - said the beautiful Butterfly and flew away in a pleasing way and waving her wings.
That day was the longest Larri had ever lived. He readily waited for the beauty to come back.
She was not even able to talk. She only looked at the sky lighted by the last of the sun. A minute later everything round became black. The night came down.
- Look, the sun is gone ! - said the Butterfly slowly moving back and forward on a dark yellow flower. - We shall never see it again.
- She's talking foolishly ! - thought Larri. - Only one day old, she has the idea to be certain about all ! I would be right to have said to her not to be in fear. The sun will come up tomorrow like it got up today ! Anyway, she'll get awake tomorrow and see the sun.
But in the morning the Butterfly did not awake.
Little Larri did not have the knowledge that butterflies live only one day. However, he was right about the sun, which came up in the morning and warmed everything round with its rays.