Ogden's Basic English
REFERENCE BOOKS About Language, not specifically about Basic English
- Oxford Companion to the English Language. Editor, Tom McArthur. Oxford University Press, 1992. ISBN 0-19-214183-X (and other editions)
"Oxford" is organized alphabetically and the answer to any question about English can be found. Those of us who enjoy opening an encyclopedia to a random page find this book to be entertainingly informative. Fabulous.
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Languare by David Crystal. University of Cambridge, 1995, 1997 (paper) Reprints, updates 1999-.200x. ISBN 0521 59655-6, 8-1/2 x 11 paper.
"Cambridge" is organized by time (from origins to today's
confusion variety.) and is for reading with an encyclopedic scope. I turned to the chapter on World English and had to stop to make additions to web pages.
- The Story of Language by Mario Pei, 1965.
History, elements, function, modern, an international language. Great intro to the topic.
- Essential Word English by Lancelot Hogben, London, 1963. He believes Ogden's 850 words is too small and suggests 1,500 words. Useful to foresee the next steps after 30 years of experience with Basic.
- Semantics : The nature of words and their meanings by Hugh Walpole, Norton, New York, 1941. Gives a view of the senses of words with the connections between language and thought which will make for better writing, sharper reading and clearer thought. Chapter 9. "Applied Semantics: Basic English".
- So Much Nearer, Richards, I.A., Harcourt, 1968.
Ten Essays Towards a World English.
- English as a Global Language by David Crystal, Cambridge U. Press, 1997.
ISBN 0 521 5 9247x. History and future of International English.
- English as Lingua Franca: Double talk in Global Persuasion by Karin Devring, 1997.
Even though English is actually the world language of economics, technology,
and sports -- the same words and phrases do mean the same thing -- air traffic control and
stock market quotes. But political . . .
- One Language for the World by Mario Pei, 1958, 1964, ISBN 68-56449. Considers dozens of languages and suggests the most likely for international vote.
- From Russell to Russo. Reviews and Commentaries 1855067714 Provides much of the thought that
sparked Ogden's thinking towards Basic.
Basic English home page.
About this Page: refbooks.html - Reference books about Language that are useful, not specifically about Basic.
Last updated July 28, 2008 - first draft.